There are many organizations dedicated to fighting cancer, both globally and locally. Here are a few well-known organizations:
- American Cancer Society (ACS) – The ACS is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to saving lives from cancer. They work to prevent cancer through research and education, and help people facing cancer with patient support services and advocacy efforts.
- World Cancer Research Fund International – This is a global organization that focuses on researching the links between diet, physical activity, and weight with cancer. They provide information and education to help people reduce their cancer risk.
- Cancer Research UK – This is a large UK-based charity that is dedicated to beating cancer through research. They fund research into all aspects of cancer, from the causes to new treatments and care.
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital – St. Jude is a leading children’s hospital that is dedicated to treating and finding cures for pediatric cancer and other life-threatening diseases. They offer cutting-edge treatments, and all care is provided without cost to the patient or their family.
- Lance Armstrong Foundation – The LAF, now known as the Livestrong Foundation, was founded by cyclist Lance Armstrong after he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. The organization works to improve the lives of people affected by cancer by providing practical information and tools, and advocating for policies that improve access to care.
- Susan G. Komen – This organization is dedicated to saving lives and ending breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all, and energizing science to find the cures.
These organizations rely on support from volunteers, donors, and advocacy efforts to fund research and provide support for people facing cancer. By working together, these organizations are making a significant impact in the fight against cancer.
How they help?
Organizations dedicated to fighting cancer help people in many ways, including:
- Research – Many organizations fund and conduct research into cancer, with the goal of finding better treatments, improving understanding of the disease, and eventually finding a cure.
- Patient Support Services – Organizations offer a variety of services to help people facing cancer, such as support groups, financial assistance, and access to information and resources.
- Education and Awareness – Organizations educate the public about cancer, its causes, and how to reduce risk. They also raise awareness about the importance of early detection and treatment.
- Advocacy – Organizations advocate for policy changes at the local, national, and international level that will improve access to care, increase funding for research, and improve the lives of people affected by cancer.
- Fundraising – Many organizations rely on fundraising to support their efforts, and they hold events, campaigns, and other activities to raise money for cancer research, patient support services, and other programs.
- Clinical Trials – Some organizations also support and manage clinical trials to test new treatments and therapies for cancer.
By providing support, resources, and funding, these organizations are helping people affected by cancer and working to find a cure for this disease.
How they get money?
Organizations dedicated to fighting cancer typically handle their finances in a number of ways, including:
- Donations – Many organizations rely on donations from individuals, corporations, and foundations to fund their work. This can include one-time or recurring gifts, as well as fundraising events and campaigns.
- Grants – Some organizations receive grants from government agencies, foundations, or other sources to support specific programs or initiatives.
- Investment Income – Some organizations have investments in stocks, bonds, or other assets, and use the income generated from these investments to support their work.
- Sponsorships and Partnerships – Some organizations form partnerships with corporations or other organizations to raise money, increase awareness, or provide additional resources and support.
- Services and Products – Some organizations sell products or offer services to generate revenue, such as products related to cancer research, patient support services, or educational resources.
Regardless of the source of funding, these organizations are typically required to adhere to strict financial management and reporting standards, and they typically have a board of directors or other governing body that oversees their finances. Many organizations also have external audits to ensure the proper use of funds and to provide transparency to their supporters.
By managing their finances effectively, these organizations are able to sustain their work in the fight against cancer and make a meaningful impact in the lives of people affected by the disease.
There are many individuals who are making a difference in the fight against cancer through activism and advocacy. Here are a few notable examples:
- Lance Armstrong – A former professional cyclist and cancer survivor, Armstrong founded the Livestrong Foundation to support people affected by cancer and advocate for policies that improve access to care.
- Susan G. Komen – The founder of the Susan G. Komen organization, Komen was diagnosed with breast cancer and went on to create a global movement to end the disease.
- Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee – A cancer physician and researcher, Dr. Mukherjee is also a best-selling author who raises awareness about cancer and advocates for improved access to care and more funding for research.
- Melissa Etheridge – A Grammy-winning musician and breast cancer survivor, Etheridge uses her platform to raise awareness about cancer and advocate for access to care.
- Yael Cohen Braun – The founder of the cancer support organization, “Fuck Cancer,” Cohen Braun uses her personal experience with cancer and her platform to educate and empower people affected by the disease.
These activists, among others, are making a difference in the fight against cancer by raising awareness, advocating for change, and providing support to those affected by the disease.
Kumud Sharma is the First Well-Known Female Journalist of the Journalism World of Himachal Pradesh. I am the Founder, Editor in Chief, Managing Director, Promoter of Diary Times. As a Female Journalist, With My Experience of More Than Nine Years, I Tell You Every News of Himachal Pradesh From The Ground Level With Absolutely Accurate and Correct Information, Be it the Politics of Himachal Pradesh or the Ground Reality, My Perspective On Every News Will Give You Assurance. I Assure You That Every News of Mine Will Comply With the Expertise and Fact Checking Policy.