Himachal Pradesh News
Himachal Pradesh : Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu Rejects OPS Rollback, Says HPSEB Will Not Be Privatised Amid Fiscal Stress
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu on Monday asserted that despite severe financial stress, his government would neither roll back the Old Pension Scheme (OPS) nor privatise the Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board (HPSEB).
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu on Monday asserted that despite severe financial stress, his government would neither roll back the Old Pension Scheme (OPS) nor privatise the Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board (HPSEB).
He was replying to the Opposition during a debate in the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly on a resolution moved under Rule 102 to discuss the fallout of the 16th Finance Commission’s recommendation to discontinue the Revenue Deficit Grant (RDG) to the state.
“Extraordinary” Fiscal Situation
Terming the situation “extraordinary,” Sukhu said his government inherited a debt burden of ₹76,000 crore from the previous BJP regime. He noted that Himachal had received only ₹17,000 crore as RDG over the past three years, which he described as inadequate given the state’s fiscal commitments.
“Despite these constraints, we have ensured that development has not suffered,” he said.
Reaffirming commitment to pre-poll assurances, the Chief Minister said seven guarantees had already been fulfilled. He added that steps had been taken to curb corruption and strengthen financial management.
Resource Mobilisation Efforts
Sukhu highlighted efforts to improve revenue mobilisation, including:
- Securing nearly ₹400 crore after winning a legal battle in the Supreme Court related to the Wildflower Hall property.
- Obtaining an additional ₹200 crore in free royalty from hydropower projects.
Appeal to Centre on RDG
On the contentious RDG issue, Sukhu adopted a conciliatory approach, saying he and his Cabinet were prepared to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi, even under the leadership of BJP legislators, if the Opposition agreed to jointly raise the matter.
“The recommendation to discontinue RDG has created an alarming situation. This is not merely political; it concerns the future of Himachal,” he said.
With the Union Budget scheduled to be passed on March 17, Sukhu urged BJP MLAs to immediately take up the issue with the Prime Minister. “If the rights of 75 lakh people of Himachal are compromised, the consequences will be long-term and irreversible,” he cautioned.
Opposition Targeted Over Fiscal Legacy
Earlier, moving the resolution, Industries and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harshwardhan Chauhan accused the BJP of failing to safeguard the state’s financial interests.
He alleged that the previous government left behind employee arrears of ₹10,000 crore in addition to ₹76,000 crore debt. Chauhan pointed out that while the BJP regime received ₹54,296 crore as RDG and ₹16,000 crore as GST compensation, little was done to reduce liabilities.
He further said Opposition members did not attend a presentation by the Finance Secretary outlining the state’s fiscal position. Highlighting a budgetary gap of ₹6,000 crore, Chauhan stated that the government was struggling to meet committed expenditures within existing borrowing limits.
The debate underscores the mounting financial pressures facing the hill state amid shifting central grant policies.