Connect with us

News

Israel: Netanyahu reinstates Gallant amid security tensions

Published

on

WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Telegram Group Join Now
Instagram Join Now

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday he would leave Defence Minister Yoav Gallant in place given an escalating security crisis, reversing a decision to fire the minister that triggered protests and raised alarm abroad.

He said the two had resolved their disagreement over Gallant’s public call last month for a halt to the government’s bitterly divisive judicial overhaul plan, which Gallant said had become a threat to Israel’s security.

Last week, Netanyahu announced he would delay the dismissal.

“I’ve decided to put our differences behind us,” Netanyahu said at a Monday news conference. He said the two had worked closely together during the last two weeks.

Netanyahu announced late last month that Gallant was fired. The decision set off a wave of spontaneous mass protests and a general strike that threatened to paralyze the country, forcing the Israeli leader to suspend his divisive plan to overhaul the judicial system.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *